.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} MondayLunchCrew: The end of one scarf the start of double knitting.

Monday, September 25, 2006

The end of one scarf the start of double knitting.

I started a scarf back in January or maybe even earlier. I've been working on it on and off since then. It's been so long and I've gotten almost no where on it. I finally gave in last night and ripped it all up. This is what I have now. I must have ripped out over 13500 stitches and I don't regret it one bit. I have no idea what I'll do with the yarn now, but I feel free to be done with the scarf that wouldn't work out. It was a nagging mess.

yarn.jpg

I started a swatch a piece in double knitting. It's challenging. I've been fancinated with the idea ever since reading about the class that Subway Knitter had taken about it.

I've tried carrying one yarn in one hand and one in another so that I'm knitting Continental and English at the same time. But in the end, to produce the best looking piece in both front and back, it's working better that I carry both yarns on the left hand, if I'm trying to create stockinette on both sides of the piece. I'm playing with different stitches and trying to see if I can manage to do more than just knit double in stockinette or can I manage some reversible double patterns. I've seen some colour work that's also done with this technique, I'm not quite ready for that, but I may be playing some more on my swatch and see what I can manage.

So far, a lot of fun. Here's an attempt to take a photo (by myself) of me knitting the double knit. Sorry for the poor photo quality...

dk20.jpg

Labels:


Comments:
I know how you feel! I ripped out a sock that was going nowhere and also a top that just wasn't working. Now I have lots of yarn...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?